Chill out! This no-cook dinner is perfect for those sweltering summer nights when the last thing you want to do is turn on your oven, seize your ingredients from the fridge or pantry, chop, and put together a tasty salad, it really is that easy.Hurry, Dinner is served!
Chicken turns this Greek-inspired salad into a substantial main course.
Feel free to substitute other chopped fresh vegetables, such as broccoli or bell peppers, for the tomatoes or cucumber. Use leftover chicken, store-roasted chicken or quickly poach a couple boneless, skinless chicken breasts while you prepare the rest of the salad.
Serve with pita bread and Hummus.
Serves: 4 Time: About 20 to 25 minutes
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1-teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼-teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chopped cos (romaine) lettuce
- 2 ½ cups chopped cooked chicken (about 12 ounces; see Tip)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup sliced ripe black olives
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
Whisk the vinegar, oil, dill, (or oregano), garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives and feta; toss to coat.
Tip: if you don’t have cooked chicken, poach 1-pound chicken breasts for this recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken stock) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.